Sunday, August 26, 2007

Recipes from the garden: Mibuna quiche



A few days ago I was walking through the garden, trying to find something to cook for that night. I had already prepared a crust and was contemplating either a spinach pie or a traditional quiche when I the large, impressive Mibuna leaves struck my eye. Usually, Mibuna is collected when still very young and tender, however, I decided to give the fully grown leaves a go. I only cut individual leaves as Mibuna will grow back and continue to provide beautiful green leafy vegetables throughout the winter months. My Mibuna quiche turned out to be a real winner. Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
for the crust
250 g plain flour
1 egg
1 pinch of sugar
1/2 teaspoon of salt
125 g butter

for the filling
a large bunch of Mibuna leaves (I used fully grown leaves), including stems
three to four eggs
approx 300 ml cream
approx 100 g feta cheese
pepper
100g bacon (leave out or replace by more feta cheese if vegetarian)

Prepare crust by mixing and kneading ingredients until well combined. Keep cool until use.
Cut Mibuna in small pieces. Fry stems first, then add leaves until lightly cooked. Mix eggs, add Mibuna, cream, feta, bacon and pepper to taste.

Bake at approx 200 degree C for c.a. 50 minutes or until done.

No comments:

Post a Comment