Saturday, October 20, 2007

Greening the Desert

I am getting increasingly interested in the concept of permaculture and in how to garden in a place that may end up resembling a desert, if the drought continues for much longer and longer term climate change predictions are anything to go by.

I have been trying to find more information on desert gardening. I recently came upon an article in The New Scientist from 14 October 2006, which described the success of tree-planting in the Sahel region of Africa, where farmers managed to reverse desertification by preserving existing trees and planting new acacia trees. This not only made the desert retreat, it also influenced local weather, with researchers attributing an increase in rainfall to the larger number of trees.

I also found this great video which describes a project to green the desert in Jordan.



I am sure that some of those techniques would also work in Australia, including in our garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment