Monday, April 4, 2016

Make your own felted slippers

Life has become too busy over the last couple of years. The family is growing up and new challenges have come our way. To get a bit of a break from it all, I have taken up knitting again!
Felted Slippers - I Wool Knit
Boys' felted slippers

I was particularly keen to make felted slippers - these are very popular in Europe, and on a recent visit to Germany, I made some for all my boys. They don't usually like putting on slippers and quickly wear out their socks instead, but the felted ones actually stay on their feet, as they feel like socks, so they quickly forget they are wearing them!  

I love that I can just crunch them up and drop them in my handbag, ready to take out when I need slippers somewhere else. 

I have taken a few pictures after we have been wearing them for a while, so they are not in a brand new state anymore :-)

They were super-easy and quick to make: You knit up the slipper and then do the felting in the washing machine. The slippers shrink by about 40% in the process, so it is important to make them big enough to start with. Once they come out of the machine you need to carefully stretch them until they fit perfectly. 


I am thinking I will make some more, maybe even venture into some more challenging patterns. Finding the right kind of yarn in Australia has been a bit of a challenge though. I have now found a yarn shop called "I Wool Knit" that stocks European felting yarns! I am so excited! They've got some nice colours, too, I have added a link below. 

I have got this great little book from Germany with slipper patterns, I am now trying to work out which one to do next. I will keep you updated on my progress!







No comments:

Post a Comment